Setting the kiln

Hier sollen Fragen und Probleme mit Brennöfen, egal ob Gas, Strom oder Holz, etc., gestellt und beantwortet werden.
Antworten
M.KUS

Setting the kiln

Beitrag von M.KUS »

Good day.
I bought ROHDE TE-S 145 with heated bottom and TC 504
I want to ask whether it is better to let the bottom flap open or closed, for firing 1280 ° C - the workshop that I 3km, so I can not go to enter the flap over the firing at night.
What are your experiences with setting the vents either the bottom or the top of such kilns?
My opinion is rather leave both vents open and the regulator set controlled cooling.
There will not be much too large differences in temperature?
Thank you for your experience and sorry for the bad translation - perhaps it can be solved.
emden

Re: Setting the kiln

Beitrag von emden »

in your special case i would burn in two steps.
When you are in your workshop you can fire your kiln to a tempt. of aprox. 200 C, to "sweat" out the water of glazing your ceramic.
In the night you can fire with closed vents.
M.KUS

Beitrag von M.KUS »

Thank you, but this is not possible - to quit the workshop 17-18:00 and I want to burn the current night - at that time not in the workshop.
That's why I'm interested in whether or prefer to let the lower valve is open or closed.
M.KUS

Beitrag von M.KUS »

So I solved it.
The bottom 15 mm hole was too big for that should still be open.
So I've done more in the bottom hole of 40 mm diameter and 70 mm deep and it just sharpened plug 40 mm deep from the same bricks as a lining and it made ​​a small hole with a diameter of 5 mm - or I can slightly increase to 7-8 mm according to firing. Established me there air pocket, which continues to air admittance channel, which will heat the incoming air and will therefore lead to large differences.
Similarly, I adjusted a chamber kiln it worked really well.

:daumen:
nicht mehr angemeldet

Beitrag von nicht mehr angemeldet »

Michael,
for bisque firing I would leave the vents open til max. temp., for the whole firing, that´s no problem.
But for a glaze firing, already been bisqued, I would keep the vents shut from the beginning, if there is no way for you to keep them open til 150°C, and shut them for the rest.
Otherwise you will loose much heatwork and temperature will rise more slowly, and that´s expensive.
You can keep them shut for a glaze firing from 150°C til max. temp., that´s what I am doing.
You just need to know that your bisqued and glazed ware is really dry! (Keep it drying for an hour or so in your kiln at 100°C, when you´re in your workshop.) Then this will work.
But if you should be once firing for porcelain, that´s another thing and more difficult!
Ulrike
M.KUS

Beitrag von M.KUS »

Ulrike Yes, it's me on Mont Blanc and the workshop is moist air - stone masonry. I think the reduced hole that I had done the work well and may still be open - 5 mm from the original 15 mm - and assures mild air and at the same time to achieve the desired temperature.
My friend has a kiln and fired MCC + glaze and biscuit with closed hole is still open and the top opening ever for a temperature of 1250 ° C.
Antworten